Saturday, November 04, 2006

1998 solo trip

My detailed travelogue has disappeared into a cyber black hole, so I'll give a basic report. I rented a car and spent not quite 2 weeks travelling in a big circle. I landed at Dublin Airport, spent my first night in Kells, County Meath.
  • I visited Newgrange, then drove on to Galway. Took a day trip to Inis Mor, a stunning island!
  • County Clare: the Cliffs of Mohr, the Burren area, and other wee villages
  • Spent a night in Adare, County Limerick, a very English-looking village with thatched roof homes
  • Dingle Peninsula, probably my favourite area. The Slea Head drive was magnificent.
  • Ring of Kerry, another stunning drive.
  • West Country Cork was gorgeous and I spent a night in Kinsale.
  • North to Cahir and Cashel - your first look at the Rock of Cashel takes your breath away
  • Up to Glendalough, a peaceful area which is the site of an ancient church and monastery in the Wicklow Mountains.
  • Nearing the end of the trip I drove south of Rosslare to catch a ferry to Wales.
  • Took the train through Wales into London for a one day visit before my flight out of London Gatwick.
Photo: Newgrange

No comments: